UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Articles

Originally published on Monday, 17th March 2008

Emma does

Emma Gets Fit Again: Pygmalion Project - Pilates

After Vibrogym, I was a little worried about starting Pilates.  Why couldn't they just strap me up to the Vibrogym for like a month and I'll be sorted?

But seemingly, that isn't a good idea. And since Melissa Cosby is now boss, I head down for my first Pilates class. Now, there are a lot of places offering Pilates, but often it's Pilates-lite, a less effective variation of the real thing.  Kinesis instructors, on the other hand, are some of the most well educated in London.

I'm booked in for a private lesson with my instructor, Monique, who is possibly the most patient person in existence. She spent a full twenty minutes teaching me how to breathe properly. I may have an IQ of 168, but seemingly, I can't master the art of breathing in to fill your stomach, rather than suck it in.

Pilates, for those who don’t know, is minimum-sweat, maximum-results exercise. It's intense, but somehow extremely relaxing. And effective: it's how ballet dancers get their long lean muscles. Now, I'll never make prima ballerina, but after my first class, it felt like a combination of an intense workout, combined with the best massage ever.

I could get used to this.

by EC

Back to homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram