UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Articles

Originally published on Thursday, 19th July 2012

Nick Sabine Q&A

Jsen Wintle Q&A

As one of the founders of online dance music bible Resident Advisor, Nick Sabine knows where the party’s at. Their latest global series RA Horizons recently kicked off in Shanghai, and will continue onto Beijing, Nagoya, Portland and Aberdeen until October.  

UJ caught up with Nick to get the lowdown on what tastes make him tick.

How would you describe your taste?
Broad. I can appreciate the craftsmanship required in blending 34 different ingredients to deliver a balanced plate of fine dining food, but I’m equally happy sampling tasty simple treats from a market stall or food truck.

Is there one restaurant that sums up your taste? And if so, why?
The Test Kitchen in Cape Town blew me away recently. Easily one of the best meals I’ve ever had. Luke Dale Roberts has put together a fascinating menu. In London, 32 Great Queen Street is a long time favourite. Hearty British food, with amazing sharing mains, done superbly in a relaxed atmosphere.

Talking literally, what is your favourite taste? Sweet, sour, bitter, salty or umami? And why?
Sweet. It’s the taste I want to end every dinner with and it’s not complete until I’ve done so.

How do you think your taste preferences and your personal taste profile have evolved as you have grown up, and are they still changing?
I know what I like, but I also like to try new things. So the evolution is natural.

How important do you think it is to understand taste and the way the different elements of taste interact when ordering food and drink?
For me it’s hugely important because food excites me. After the wheel, condiments are the greatest invention in life.

Where do you go to indulge?
At home. My wife is an amazing chef (join her Facebook Group here for upcoming London supperclubs).

Where have you been recently that’s got your taste buds going?
Home Slice Pizza at Broadway Market. Yum Bun at Broadway Market. Brawn. A regular favourite.

Tell us about a new taste you have experienced recently?
It’s all about the combination. Butternut with roasted sage, chilli and crisp pancetta. Ridiculous.

Where would you travel for unusual tastes and flavours?
Japan. Here I encountered flavours and textures I never knew existed.

What flavours do you use in the kitchen at home?
Lots.

What taste means celebration to you?
Sweet. Chocolate.

What is your favourite cocktail?
Grey Goose Asian Mary, with wasabi, dried ginger, soy sauce, sake and Grey Goose Le Citron vodka.

What is your absolute favourite dish?
My wife’s chocolate fondant. Simply the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

Whose taste do you trust?
Mine own and for a tasty East London culinary delight; Tom from Millionhands.

UJ connects those in the know to create a Grey Goose Tastemaker family. Follow the Q&As and discover who’s next in line...

Info
To create your own bespoke cocktail visit www.greygoosetaste.com/discover. For upcoming events see their Facebook and Twitter pages.

greygoose

greygoose
greygoose

Back to homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram