UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Wednesday, 8th September 2010

Reseved Header

Pierre Herme

Pierre Hermé

A macaronerie like no other

13 Lowndes Street, SW1X 9EX - 020 7730 3663
www.pierreherme.com

Having previewed his haute confectionary collection at Selfridges a few months back, the macaron king has now opened his first London boutique which is not only a haven for the sweet of tooth but is also supremely foxy of design.

Vibe

I am not one to go crazy for cupcakes (too much frosting). Waft a fancy dessert past me and I’ll barely bat an eye (I like to savour the savoury). Sweet for sweet’s sake doesn’t do it for me, but Pierre Hermé’s macarons and chocolates are on another level – there is good reason he is already worshipped in Paris and Tokyo – and this new store is certain to become the ultimate stop-off for dinner party (or self) gifting.

Flavours

Monsieur Hermé is renowned for his incredible flavour combinations that he concocts with all the subtlety of a perfumer: strawberry and balsamic vinegar and dark chocolate and blackcurrant are two of his most popular macarons, while chocolates are infused with black olives and roasted, salted corn as well as other more traditional, but no less intense, options.

Décor

Looking more like a contemporary jewellery store, the sweeping, espresso lines of this Belgravia gem are the perfect backdrop for the ‘Picasso of Pastry’s multi-coloured macarons and signature tangerine packaging.

Upshot

You may not be able to book a table but, as word spreads, you might need to call ahead to reserve a box of your favourite flavours. The colours go so perfectly with this season’s Louboutins, and the two shops are now so conveniently close!

by SL

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram