UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Wednesday, 9th February 2011

Reseved Header

Cassis

Cassis

A bit of Provencal posh in South Kensington

232-236 Brompton Road, SW3 2BB - 020 7581 1101
www.cassisbistro.co.uk

Let’s not get too excited but it almost seems like spring has sprung, or is at least opening one eye. So, I don’t know about you but I’m in the mood to eschew more wintry confines in favour for somewhere light, bright and a little bit ‘refeened’. Somewhere like the recently opened French bistro Cassis in smarty-pants South Ken.

Vibe

Serving contemporary Provencal food to a well-coiffed crowd Cassis, which was opened quietly a few months back by Marlon Abela (who also owns Morton’s in Berkeley Square and the gemlike Japanese Umu), is elegantly inviting.

Flavours

Start with a few petites bouchees like the goats cheese and spinach ‘barbajuans’ (crisp parcels typical of the Riviera, apparently), then try the rustic homemade pates with fig chutney and country bread or the bouillabaisse for two and something from the very fine wine list, skipping the mains and leaving room for salted crème caramel or tarte Tropezienne (the briochey Brigitte Bardot of cakes).

Décor

The fact that Tara Bernerd’s hip interiors company Target Living is responsible for the design prevents the place from being too grown-up. With oak floors, oatmealy furnishings and a wall-mounted fireplace flickering in the corner, if you squint a slightly you really could be in a little hostelry in Provence – that just happens to have a few Gary Humes on the walls.

Upshot

It may be a bit  posh but a three course lunch for £20 isn’t too shoddy if you need somewhere to take maman after popping into the V&A, or a chic hideaway guaranteed not to have pink balloons tied to the chairs or heart confetti-strewn tables on February 14th. It’s also home to my new favourite drinks menu, including the springy Bronzette (gin, campari, cassis, basil and lemon). Oh, look... it’s cocktail o’clock.

by SL

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram