UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Tuesday, 18th November 2014

TOP FIVE DINING NYC

Jonathan Downey, owner of Milk & Honey Soho | Danger of Death Brick Lane, partner in @StreetFeast #HawkerHouse #ModelMarket and @Rotorino, has led UJ on many a good foodie trail: the right tapas bar in the Boqueria, hidden gems in Ibiza, and top tips literally everywhere across the globe. He’s also a NY frequent flyer; the below are his top five restaurants from his most recent trip.

Can Lluc

Bar Primi

This is a brilliant, newish (it opened May, I think), no bookings, East Village pasta bar/restaurant from Andrew Carmellini (Locanda Verde, The Dutch, Lafayette). I’ve never eaten pasta this good anywhere else. There's also nice 2nd Avenue outside seating when it’s warm.

Can Lluc

Brooklyn
Berg’n

Brand new Brooklyn beer hall from the Smorgasburg mob. Settle in for a session of Reissdorf Kölsch and four of NYC’s best street food vendors (Mighty Quinn’s, Ramen Burger etc) trading from indoor kiosks. It’s in Crown Heights and it’s wunderbar.

Can Lluc

Music
Charlie Bird

I love this place because as well as great food, service and design, this restaurant has a rare thing – great music. When I visited, everyone was wearing black; I might have missed that memo. There’s a large outdoor area for long, sunny lunches.

Can Lluc

Steak Frites
Cherche Midi

This is Keith McNally’s new place on Bowery and Houston in the old Pulino’s space. The best way to describe it is as ‘yellow French’. Weird yellow lighting and faux-finished yellow everything else shouldn’t spoil sensational steak frites. Quite possibly Manhattan’s best chips and the evening-only prime rib is a stonker.

Can Lluc

Favourite
Estela

My current favourite restaurant in Manhattan is a year old now. Step up into a groovy little neighbourhood space with exceptional cooking, a cracking wine list and a lovely warm welcome. I’ll never stop wanting to eat the endive salad. POTUS and FLOTUS ate here recently, so it might be tricky to get in unless you go early evening, early week.

By Jonathan Downey

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram