UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Monday, 24th November 2008

What's for Supper

Keepin' it Raw

For carnivores seeking a quality protein high - there can be no better way to enjoy meat than in its purest, unadulterated form. Yes.. that means raw.

Many years ago I went to a party wearing heels. For a girl who already reaches 5 ft 11 barefoot, I guess it was a fairly showy gesture and one of my male friends likened it to saying "I am a lion, hear me roar."

Eating meat raw is a similarly unapologetic tribute, but to the pleasures of red meat. Rather than grilling it into oblivion, it is simply sliced or cubed into bite-sized pieces, seasoned boldly, and enjoyed in all its tender, juicy sweetness. You can even growl a little while eating - the rules of table manners change once raw meat is involved.

Many people will use suggest using fillet in carpaccio or tartare recipes - it is the softest cut of meat you can get and has very little fat or gristle to trim away. If you are a little more brave, try and buy a more worked muscle like flank steak, skirt steak or top round steak. These will be a little tougher with more fat but they have a far superior flavour.

Here are 3 recipes to unleash your inner lion:

Beef Cappaccio with horseradish creme fraicheEthiopian Kitfo
Korean Beef Tartare with Quail's Eggs

Jennifer Klinec from Eat Drink Talk has kindly agreed to provide Urban Junkies readers with mouthwatering recipes and foodtips.

To learn more, classes at Eat Drink Talk are held in Jennifer's beautiful loft in Clerkenwell, packed with information and useful tips, and you'll get to sample all of the delicious dishes prepared during class.

by JK

In collaboration with Eat Drink Talk

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram