UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Tuesday, 2nd June 2009

What's for Supper

Persian Immersion

The flight to Tehran was like one huge party. My fellow passengers passed around salted melon seeds and were full of curiosity about the ‘blonde girl’ going to Iran all alone. By the time we landed I’d had countless invitations to dinner, to visit people at home, and even to a few weddings.  So began my month-long adventure in Iran...

Iran is country that has always held a huge fascination for me. When I was a student in Montreal, a city with a large Persian population, I used to gather with my friends in a small Iranian restaurant where the owners would stuff us full of fluffy saffron-flecked rice, tender lamb stew infused with dried limes, and send us on our way with takeaway bags of fresh baked bread and dates to have for breakfast. It was a home away from home for us and my first experience with the famously kind hospitality of the Iranians.

Due to a diplomatic stalemate between Canadian-Iranian relations - getting a visa for Iran has been famously difficult; until now. Armed with a 28 day tourist visa, a few tubes of mascara and the 'sexiest' headscarves I could find at Muji, at last I was off for the adventure of my dreams.

As luck would have it, on my first night in Iran I met a partner-in-crime in the form of a young Iranian guy who took up my cause to eat and cook all things Persian with great interest.  So began an exotic and delicious adventure during which his family and friends completely absorbed me into their lives.

I hope the following recipes and stories will help to capture the incredible hospitality, flavours and colours of this magical country.

Fesenjun (Chicken with Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce)Reshteh Polo (Aromatic Rice with Chicken, Cinnamon and Bitter Orange)
Fereni (Milk Pudding with Pistachios and Rose Water)

Jennifer Klinec from Eat Drink Talk has kindly agreed to provide Urban Junkies readers with mouthwatering recipes and foodtips.

To learn more, classes at Eat Drink Talk are held in Jennifer's beautiful loft in Clerkenwell, packed with information and useful tips, and you'll get to sample all of the delicious dishes prepared during class.

by JK

In collaboration with Eat Drink Talk

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram