UJ on Instagram
UJ's MixCloud
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Soundcloud Mixcloud Instagram

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Eat & Drink

Originally published on Tuesday, 16th November 2010

Wine Chap's Wine Tips: November Q&A

Wine Chap’s Wine Tips

WineChap kicks off a new wine-tastic Q&A series with The Savoy's Shannon McCoy

wine chap

Walking into The Savoy's opulent Beaufort Bar is a little like how I imagine P Diddy's pad might look. WineChap may not be the greatest cocktail consumer, but Bar Manager Shannon McCoy – formerly of New York's Four Seasons – has been working staunchly on the list here. So if you fancy something vinous after your Winston (XO Cognac, fruit and muddled Romeo 'y' Julieta cigar on top) keep reading…

Q. Apart from the excellently-priced Roederer, what’s your pick of the champagnes on the Beaufort's list?
A. My favourite is the Jacques Selosse Initial – a blanc de blancs with tiny bubbles and a toasty flavour. I always drink it from a wine glass so its already-intense flavours open right up.

Q. And your favourite wines by the glass?
A. I personally selected each of the wines and champagnes after tasting hundreds, so choosing a favourite is like singling out one of your children. But the Chenin Blanc from Domaine Pascal Pibaleau is easy drinking and delicious, and the Little Beauty Pinot Noir is just that – a little NZ beauty!

Q. How much gold leaf is in the bar?
A. £38,000

Q. What else should I know to impress my date?
A. In the coming weeks we’ll be adding our Champagne Punches to the menu. Served in Champagne Coupes from art deco Absinthe fountains at the table, they are hands down the most glamourous drinks in London.

The Savoy
The Strand, WC2R 0EU

by TH

Back to Eat & Drink homepage »

Urban Junkies is a free newsletter delivering the very latest London launches, trends and events.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

UJ on Instagram