High St, Hampton TW12 2ST
It’s well-documented that you can’t rely on good weather in London for long, so when it’s less-than-dependable, head to Hampton Pool. It’s outdoors, sure, but it’s heated all year round to a very temperate 28 degrees. Plus, it’s open 365 days a year.
Parliament Hill Lido
Parliament Hill Mansions, Hampstead Heath, Lissenden Gardens, NW5 1NA
Grade-II listed Parliament Hill Lido is the only outdoor pool in the UK that’s lined with stainless steel. What does that mean exactly? Essentially it means the water has a shimmery quality which makes swimming here feel different.
Hyde Park, South Carriage Drive, W2 2UH
If you find yourself hot and bothered and Hyde Park, the Serpentine Lido is the place to go. It’s not a pool as such; more a cornered off section of the Serpentine lake, so this isn’t one for those who are fussy about a bit of moss underfoot.
Various locations, more information here
Okay it’s unlikely that you don’t already know about Hampstead Ponds, but we couldn’t miss them out. Whether it’s ladies, mixed or mens pond, be aware that if you go on a sunny weekend, you’ll queue. Before work is the ideal time for a dip.
3-4 Shadwell Pierhead, Glamis Road, E1W 3TD
We’re going to hold our hands up right now and admit that you aren’t technically supposed to swim in Shadwell Basin as publicly, it’s an outdoor watersports centre for children. However, most people do, and taking a tip in the cool inlet – surrounded by 60s architecture – is a treat on a hot day.
Then subscribe to our weekly newsletter here:
More from Lists
- ListsTop 5: Wine BarsWhere to go to find that perfect glass
- ListsTop 5: Affordable SushiFor when you need nigiri pre-payday
- ListsTop 5: Places to Get FestiveWant to get in the Christmas spirit? Then head here...
- ListsTop 5: Colette ChristmasWe say goodbye to Colette with our Christmas round-up
- ListsTop 5: Experiential Christmas GiftsFor the ones who already have everything
- ListsTop 5: New Year GetawaysStuck for plans? We've got you covered